Two Significant Trends in Social Media
There are two trends that have emerged in the last two years that have changed the social media landscape and fabric.
- Visualisation of content: This is obvious when you see the rapid rise of Pinterest and Instagram and the evolution of larger images on Facebook and its user interface. Google+ had realised this when it launched last year with its feature and function sets applying a highly visual format.
- Mobile use and sharing: Instagram is the leader of this trend and is one of the reasons that Facebook made a $1 billion purchase of a non profitable company (Instagram) with only 16 employees.
These trends have also impacted web design and online shopping with Ebay changing its design and layout to a Pinterest styled home page ”feed”
Social Media Statistics
There are some surprising statistics that indicate the growth and impact the social web has created in just a few short years.
- 350 million plus users suffer from “Facebook addiction syndrome”
- If Twitter was a country it would be the 12th largest in the world
- LinkedIn signs up 2 new members every second
- The average visitor spends 15 minutes a day on YouTube
- Three million new blogs come online every month
- 97% of the fans on Pinterest’s Facebook page are women
- 5 million images are uploaded to Instagram every day
- The Google +1 button is used 5 billion times every day
Written by Jeff Bullas and reproduced with thanks.